The Ecclesiastical history of Hortland Graveyard.
Unity in Division: A History of Christianity in Kilcock and Newtown.
Kilcock Publication Millennium Committee 1999, pp. 59-66.
Hortland Graveyard or as it was formely called Scullogestown was one of eight parishes in the barony of Ikeathy and Oughterany. It is now part of the present parish of Kilcock and Newtown. There is some evidence that the Normans choose this strategically advantageous location to build a castle, church and possibly monastery. The only physical evidence that now remains is the motte and baptismal font. In 1745 Revd. Josiah Hort, Archbishop of Tuam, purchased 868 acres in Scullogestown from the Fitzgeralds. He changed the name to Hortland and built a mansion using the stone from the old church.
||Hortland, Scullogestown, Ikeathy, Oughterany, Hort
||Arts, Celtic Studies & Philosophy > History
Ms. Olive Morrin
||04 Mar 2003
|Journal or Publication Title:
||Unity in Division: A History of Christianity in Kilcock and Newtown
||Kilcock Publication Millennium Committee 1999
Repository Staff Only(login required)
||Item control page